[RE-wrenches] Landing into a sub-panel without a main service panel, just a main switch

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Dec 22 12:07:34 PST 2011

I'd consider a fused disconnect on the line side of the 200 amp main.
The wires on the load side are treated just as a bussbar. 690.64 (which
is now 705.12) reads conductor or bussbar.
You could use a 100% duty rated 40 amp fused disconnect, and get up to
9600 watts through on the load side, but a regular disconnect is going
to be limited by 690.8 to 80% of 40 amps, (7.7 KW inverter rated output
x 125% = 40 amps)
Since the subpanels have 125 A bussbars, but only 60 amp mains, you
could add there without further penalty, but the bottom line is: you're
not going to get 10KW on the load side and be code compliant.

Ray Walters