[RE-wrenches] a PV titan is to be no more

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 13:43:04 PST 2011

Marco and Randy,

I just went to the BP Solar website and they have a legal notice that states
that BP Solar is a wholly owned subsidiary of BP. There is no liability
separation. When their drilling rig blew up in the Gulf, they didn't run for
cover even though the drilling rig could have been a subsidiary of the main
company.

That being said, it has rarely been easy to get a warranty replacement out
of BP when they were making PV modules, so now that they have stopped, it is
not going to be easier than before. I'm sure when you have a warranty claim
that you will get the run around from whomever you contact, but with a loud
enough voice, they will have to respond.

There is no parallel here to AstroPower and the way GE bought their module
manufacturing equipment to avoid liability.

If you bought Shell monocrystalline modules back 8 years ago, the warranty
on those modules are currently being serviced by Solar World. However, if
SolarWorld were to go out of business, the warranty obligation would have to
shift back to Shell because their name is on it. I'm sure it would be
difficult to get a claim serviced, but that is generally how warranties
work.

If GE makes an appliance, then they sell that appliance line to another
company that goes out of business, and the product fails, then GE is going
to stuck with the warranty claim if it is still in the specified warranty
period. That is one reason why most equipment has fairly short warranty
periods.

This is why it is critical whose name is on the back of them module. There
may be 5 different module names made at the same factory, but if one of
those names is a major multi-billion dollar company, and the other 4 are
no-names, the big company is the better buy (assuming similar costs) since
their warranty is more likely to have value.

Bill.