[RE-wrenches] More Honda EU2000i + charger problems

Dan Fink buckville at hughes.net
Sun Dec 4 16:55:15 PST 2011

I'm really developing a love-hate relationship with these little gennys.
My customers love them, as they are quiet, sip gas, can be carried
around in one hand, and easily loaded inside a float plane or
helicopter. I love them at remote jobsites.

New problem -- old Todd 75 amp solid state charger, has been in place
since 1997. New Honda 2000i. The Todd charger runs for 10-15 minutes,
then shuts down. Then restarts itself and charges for 10 minutes, and
shuts down etc. The Todd has no such fancy things as error lights,
digital displays, adjustable settings, etc. The Honda is not affected
(tho of course you can hear it load down), no overload warning light, no
effect (not even a flicker) on lights etc. that are running straight off
the generator (that was my test scenario today).

My previous problem (still unresolved) is that one 3000i at a remote
camp will run the Magnum MMS chargers at either camp, but the OTHER
3000i won't run either of them. Both Hondas are only a year old. Not
easy to swap the hondas around, or bring them down for repair, as it
requires a helicopter. Can't detect any difference with my multimeter
between the Hondas.

SO -- my question for the List -- can anyone recommend a stand-alone
charger (no inverter) that is not so sensitive to the  output of the
Honda EU-i series?

Thanks in advance!

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342 (voicemail)
970.373.1311 (FAX)