[RE-wrenches] calculating low string voltage

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 16:54:53 PST 2011

Ray,

There is an explanation on the www.solarabcs.org/permitting webpage for the
interactive solar map. The 2% ASHRAE data represents 14 hours in a
month-meaning temperature will be at or above that value for 14 hours in a
typical month. This is likely to correspond to at least one 3-hour timeframe
which is considered "continuous" in the NEC. The Copper Development
Association has chosen this number for ambient temperature calculations in
the NEC. The NEC Handbook (not the NEC) uses this number in their example
problems.

The 0.4% ASHRAE date represents 3 hours in a month. It is much more
conservative number. I put it in the data to provide a context for the 2%
number and it allows engineers to consider a more conservative number.

Of course, the mean extreme minimum drybulb temperature is also on that
website for 690.7 max system voltage calculations. Enjoy-its free thanks to
SolarABCs.

Bill.