[RE-wrenches] Connectors and Crimpers

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 28 12:03:38 PST 2011

The wrong crimping tool with the wrong crimp is a big no no. I've seen
complete melt downs at high amps, because there was not enough contact
between the wire and the connector.
I'm one of the guys here that will help you save money when it makes
sense, but I've personally seen a lot of improper crimps, covered up in
insulating material, go bad. I'm not a fan of split bolts for the same
reason. Connectors like the Polaris splice blocks allow connections to
be double checked, allow voltage check without disconnecting anything
while trouble shooting, and make a reliable long term connection.
If you want to save money, just buy pre-made MC cables and cut them to
length. You end up with some left over 10 ft peices of wire, but it's
way cheaper than buying the tool.

Ray