[RE-wrenches] intermittent battery problem; ...Battery Sulfation

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Thu Nov 17 04:17:30 PST 2011

Ron,
   I'm going to reiterate what Jeff says here. It is similar to what I had
said in my email. The charge rate must REGULARLY be C10 on the KS
(5000 series) batteries. This means, on KS 25's, a routine bulk
charging rate of 135 amps. I find that on these types of hybrid
systems, while the batteries might occasionally (sunny day, generator
running, etc.) that kind of charging, they do not regularly see C10. I
think if you gave Jamie Surrette a call he would give you the same
possible assessment.
   I do think the problem is oversulfation, but none of this solves your
problem, I know. We have been installing KS series batteries since they
came out and this necessity of regular C10 charging has been an
integral  part of design for me for many years.

Best,
Daryl