[RE-wrenches] High Voltage MPPT units; Adding battery backup

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Nov 9 13:55:08 PST 2011

Any amount of power will AC couple.

If you use an off grid inverter, such as an
Outback, to feed the protected load panel, the
inverter should be fed by grid AC power to supply
loads, when the grid is available.  Just
feed  your grid tie inverter into the protected
loads panel.   You will need a relay to shut off
power from the grid tie inverter when the
batteries are full.  This can be triggered by the fan relay in the Outback.

The on grid inverter will push power into the
grid through the battery inverter's internal
transfer switch during normal operation and AC
couple when the power is out.  If your grid tie
inverter is 240 volts, you will need to use a transformer or two inverters.

The phantom load of the inverter can be
eliminated by using a transfer switch to send PV
power straight to the grid, during normal grid
availability, keeping the inverter turned
off.  AC coupling seems much easier than using a
charge controller, but there is no conditioning
of the batteries.  The charge is just on and off
at the voltage set point. For a back up system,
that is not much of a problem, as the battery
inverter can maintain the batteries when power is available.

Drake Chamberlin
ATHENS ELECTRIC LLC
OH License 44810
CO license 3773