[RE-wrenches] High Voltage MPPT units

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Nov 7 11:32:07 PST 2011

Just curious, what's the advantage of switching at the array vs. just
using a Sunny Island or Outback system? Seems this would cost more, and
have less efficiency, since you would still have the battery float
losses, backup inverter idle losses, in addition to the 2nd grid tie
inverter losses. Are there site specific conditions driving this that
I'm not understanding?
I've done quite a few GT systems w/ battery backup, so I'm always up for
new ideas though.

Ray