[RE-wrenches] Bifacial modules

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:18:15 PDT 2011

We've got an array of Silicon Energy modules "out back," and in the
interests of scientific discovery and procrastinating from what I really am
supposed to be doing, Kelly, Seth and I just ran a few experiments to see
if we can quantify the amount of irradiation that makes it through the
array.

Using a Kyocera module as our reference, we measured ISC with the module in
the plane of the array, then moved the module to the same orientation but
approximately 12 feet behind and in the shade of the SE array, and again
measured ISC.  Sun conditions were light wispy clouds, guesstimated 800
W/M2 (pretty darned good for Arlington WA this time o' year), 10:30 local
time.  We measured 5.9A ISC in front of the array, and 610 milliamps when
in the shade the array, leading us to say that just over 10% of the
available sun will make it to your orchids.

It should be noted that there is a opaque backing behind each SE cell, so
the only light that makes it through is through the intercell gaps.  I've
used Sanyo doubles before, and in those modules the cells are slightly
translucent, so the sun is somewhat visible through the body of the cell
itself as well -- sort of like looking through very dark sunglasses.  In
either case, the illumination on objects behind the array is a dappled,
dynamic light.  As Bill says, it's pretty cool from an aesthetic point of
view.  My personal .02 is that there is no finer place to put an array than
a shade structure using clear modules.  It keeps everything off the roof,
gives shade and makes for a premium installation option.

Phil
"When we learn how to store electricity, we will cease being apes
ourselves; until then we are tailless orangutans. You see, we should
utilize natural forces and thus get all of our power. Sunshine is a form of
energy, and the winds and the tides are manifestations of energy.  Do we
use them? Oh, no! We burn up wood and coal, as renters burn up the front
fence for fuel. We live like squatters, not as if we owned the property.

There must surely come a time when heat and power will be stored in
unlimited quantities in every community, all gathered by natural forces."
-- Thomas Edison --