[RE-wrenches] mixing aluminum and galvanized steel

Kristopher Schmid solman at legacysolar.com
Wed Oct 5 09:45:14 PDT 2011

This is an amazingly timely post for me!  I was just thinking of asking the
same question since i have a couple of ground mount installs coming up with
concrete pillars/galvanized anchor bolts/aluminum channel base.  I notice
that DPW for example specs galvanized pipes to be attached with u-bolts to
their aluminum racking in their LGM racks.

Anxiously awaiting the collective wisdom...

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Jeff Yago <jryago at dtisolar.com> wrote:

> For years we have used standard mounting racks like UniRac rails bolted
> together with stainless-steel hardware.  On larger arrays this usually means
> bolting their extruded aluminum module rails to galvanized 3” pipe supports
> for ground mounted arrays.****
>
> ** **
>
> We have recently received several “flags” during the engineering review
> process of our design documents on state funded projects stating all bolted
> connections between aluminum and galvanized steel will require neoprene
> washers to prevent corrosion.****
>
> ** **
>
> Any of you run into this requirement or have had any problems?  The only
> issues we ever see with corrosion is mixing copper and aluminum such as
> where somebody used wrong type module frame ground connectors.****
>
> ** **
>
> Jeff Yago****

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org