[RE-wrenches] Invert first?

Dan Fink buckville at hughes.net
Sun Oct 2 09:50:39 PDT 2011

Hi Eric;

I'll be very interested to hear what others on this list who have far
more experience than me in large systems have to say about this.

But my first thought is, go DC. The new Xantrex XW high voltage MPPT
charge controller will take up to 600 Voc from PV and put it into a
standard battery bank, that roughly puts you realistically at just 30
amps in your DC lines.

How were you planning to invert to AC at the PV array? Enphase etc? How
do you do battery backup with an Enphase system (I have no idea, but am
eager to learn from others here)? Any standard islanding grid-tie
inverter will need to be right next to the battery bank.

Dan Fink
Executive Director;
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Providers
http://www.buckville.com/
info at buckville.com
970.672.4342 (voicemail)
970.373.1311 (fax)