[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Fri Sep 2 14:40:07 PDT 2011

Larry,

The Sunny Island is a solid solution.

Supposedly, the Magnum MS PAE inverters will wiggle the ac frequency to
disconnect the grid-only inverters when the batteries are full. I think
Magnum requires the diversion control as a backup. For a large system,
the diversion load ends up being a major expense.

Outback's new Radian inverter looks like another good possibility.
Internally it is supposed to be the same topology as the FX inverter, so
ac coupling should work fine. It is also supposed to wiggle the ac
frequency to disconnect the grid-only inverters. As with the FX
inverter, the manual says nothing about ac coupling so I guess we are
still on our own on that.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar