[RE-wrenches] unique battery bank design question

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Sep 1 16:39:24 PDT 2011

Sorry - I missed the 4 days part of your post. I'm not sure where you
came up with 4 days - sounds kind of arbitrary.

I'd be interested to know if it makes any difference at all if you tap a
12V load only when there is a 48V charging source present (assuming the
charging source current is significantly greater than the load). Assume
you want to run a small 12V fan only when batteries are charging. In
that case, I would guess the impact is far less important, or perhaps
nil. Maybe this is a case where a tap is acceptable. Not sure...

I'm not trying to argue that a tap is a good idea - it's clearly not
ideal. I'm just trying to be devil's advocate and run this issue to
ground. If there is a legitimate reason to pursue this course of action
(cost, simplicity, size, weight, etc,) it's a good idea to talk about
it.

Another option I've been reading up on is a Battery Equalizer/Battery
Balancer. These seem to be commercially available to tap 12V off a 24V
battery, but I am not sure about the efficiency or cost comparison to a
DC-DC converter, or how/if multiple units could be implemented in a 48V
system.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar