[RE-wrenches] Large, off grid

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Fri Aug 12 08:42:52 PDT 2011

Hello wrenches,
   We have an opportunity to install a very large (60 kw) off grid system
in Mexico. It is currently three phase. I do have the option of
changing out the air conditioners (36 of them) to 120 single phase, but
it is an added layer of complexity/cost that it would be nice to avoid.
   The largest off grid system I've done is 21 kw so far, and it was
single phase and fairly straightforward.
   Does anyone know of a three phase, off grid inverter than can be
paralleled for 500 (possibly 450) amps oputput. I am currently dealing
with three 120 volt lines (2/0) and a neutral, running to a transformer
to "clean up" the power from the gennie a bit. The client is determined
to do this as he has spent about $500,000.00 USD in diesel over the
last 5 years.I would very much like to get that transformer out of the
picture...
   I am well versed in the complexities/pitfalls of battery systems this
large. I'm planning on using the Surrette YS-31series to minimize the
footprint, as well as use Water Miser caps and install three separate
deionizing water systems. My issue is the inverters. I have seen a
Korean inverter, Sunsine (http://www.dongeiecos.com/) that is capable
of this, but I am not sure I want my first install of this inverter to
be 3000 miles away....
   Anyone?

Thanks,
Daryl DeJoy