[RE-wrenches] Tracstar Linear Tracker

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Wed Aug 10 13:38:35 PDT 2011

Tracstar is as good as any of them, however I would not track this array unless it is dedicated to a pumping load or MAYBE grid tie on a PBI. My issue is that PV is too cheap now to do much in the way of justification for the added expense and reliability issues. We are so lucky to have energy systems that can produce power with no moving parts and have an extremely long life that I just cannot see intentionally adding complex and expensive moving parts to undo this elegance. Closely look at your math and see just how close the economics are considering PV can be retailed for likely under $2.20/W. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, you should consider tracker service life. With modules lasting 50+ years you surely will have to replace the tracker well before the array, if not twice or more. Personally, I think trackers lasting more than 15-20 years w/o significant servicing is not realistic. Not much in the solar world more aggravating then seeing the sun shining on the BACK of your array at almost noon! It seems that we spend a lot of time trying to talk customers out of sexy notions like trackers, battery back-up grid tied systems and wind where there is little. I think trackers can have their place, but not many! And this is coming from a guy w/a tracker for 20 years and I refuse to remove it,I just keep rebuilding it (they are indeed very cool when working). All expansions have been fixed mounted.

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions
Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4e42ec7a5c48a53c09cst02vuc