[RE-wrenches] Aluminum Module Frame To Galvanized Uni-Strut

Gary Willett gary at icarussolarservices.com
Tue Jul 12 20:48:11 PDT 2011

It was brought to my attention that I had an error in my original post.
Here's the corrected text:

Fellow Wrenches:

I am involved in the commissioning of a 300kw parking structure PV
system and have a concern about possible galvanic action between the
aluminum module frames and the stainless GALVANIZED steel uni-strut.

The installation contractor attached the PV modules using a WEEB-like
stainless steel top-mounted clamp (to pierce the top of the PV frame). A
stainless steel bolt connects the clamp to the channel nut. The bottom
of the PV module is resting on the galvanized uni-strut.

Should there also be a WEEB-WMC assembly between the PV module and the
uni-strut?

Anyone have any experience where direct contact of these dissimilar
metals became an issue over time?

--

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE
Icarus Solar Services LLC
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com <mailto:Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com>