[RE-wrenches] SolarWorld Poly

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:29:21 PDT 2011

Nik

I just bought a new mono solarworld 250 and it also has a new stle frame
with no feet, I believe they have switched to the new frame for all their
models now.  Limits options for mounting to only using top clips, not good
in my opinion.   I believe they are working on their own clip system, last I
saw it looked a bit "German" and a liitle too fancy for my tastes.  I have
not compared glass surfaces between the two models, but I would suspect that
they are switchign to the " cheaper reflective glass on all their new
models.  Cutting cost in one place and adding in another!  Over all thouh a
good solid module.

Bill

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Nik Ponzio <nponzio at buildingenergyus.com>wrote:

> Esteemed Wrenches,
>
> I have been using a lot of SolarWorld mono-crystalline modules this year
> and I am quite happy with the product. This week we installed our first
> SolarWorld poly-crystalline array. I was surprised at how different the two
> modules are. The glass on the poly module is highly reflective. I went so
> far as to call my distributor to make sure I hadn't gotten a bad batch that
> missed the anti-reflective coating step. That's what it seems like!
>
> The other significant difference is the frame style used. The Poly are only
> compatible with top-down clamping. I was aware of this from the datasheets
> but I had no idea that the glass would be so different.
>
> Take a look at some side-by-side photos here:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/109634809794570027207/SolarWorldMonoVsPoly?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuLy4v_ivTUAg&feat=directlink
>
> Just a heads-up to anyone considering getting into SolarWorld.
>
> Happy Summer!
> Nik
>
> --
> Nicholas Ponzio