[RE-wrenches] 24 volt Battery Bank comparison, Why a single string?

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Jun 1 08:41:10 PDT 2011

Hi boB,

We know that current will flow through the lowest resistive path. In a perfect world, the resistance from end to end of a battery string will be identical. Real world conditions show that one or more cells have a slightly higher internal resistance. Add to that the imperfect terminal crimp, improper torque at battery terminal, and perhaps terminal corrosion and we now have paths of differing resistance. The parallel strings have an unequal distribution of current and ergo undercharged cells. These cells retain a small amount of amorphous lead sulphate that, without correction, will begin to crystalize. We all know what will happen over time.

Granted, this can be prevented by the proper knowledge and attention but I see far too many failures from neglect and/or lack of understanding. My experience comes from 10 years of working with hundreds of small 12 volt systems with 2 to 6 parallel strings of batteries. In our shop we often see 2 to 3 year old battery banks that are damaged and I believe this is a contributing factor. It is often too late by the time the problem is discovered. So, my opinion is to reduce this possibility by decreasing the parallel paths whenever possible.

More strings of a given size battery means less stress per string. But, if you decrease strings you are normally increasing cell size to maintain the capacity so this should not be an issue.

Battery balancing is a great idea. I would like to see an active system for shunting current on a string to keep an equal current across all strings. I know this is done in the EV business.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
11871 S Fortuna Road, #210
Yuma, AZ 85367