[RE-wrenches] 24 volt Battery Bank comparison

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed Jun 1 01:00:50 PDT 2011

On 5/31/2011 11:25 PM, Tom Elliot wrote:
> Bob,
> I totally understand the concern about multiple strings *if the
> strings are connected across the battery bank* as had always been the
> tradition in off-grid installations.  My own experience with such a
> bank in my system  showed why when I had a single cell get to near
> meltdown.  I was lucky to find it.

This might be a good reason for an installer to have one of those FLIR
(or similar) thermal imager cameras.   They're a bit on the expensive
side, but could
really be helpful for so many things.   Even just to know if you have
left a nut loose (under load of course)

boB

> Maintenance is another reason, such banks are far more difficult to
> maintain.  But I think those concerns are ameliorated a great deal
> with a buss bar installation and once I did that I never had another
> problem and found the battery bank much easier to maintain because the
> strings no longer had to be right next to each other.  Heck, it would
> be possible to put each series string in its own box for that matter.
> And with the inclusion of string fuses that reduces problems even
> further.
> When living with an off-grid system my biggest concern was system
> reliability and redundancy and the idea of a single string failure was
> a big worry which is why I never would consider it.
> Tom

>>> 352 377-6527 Office
>>> 352 336-3299 Fax