[RE-wrenches] 24 volt Battery Bank comparison

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Tue May 31 23:16:44 PDT 2011

OK, I've been hearing for years now that one battery string is best and
maybe two but no more should be used.

What is the reason for this fear ???    What is the experience with
multiple strings in parallel ??

If it is because of current sharing of the strings, that shouldn't be an
insurmountable problem if the wiring is done right.

If it has to do with the possibility of fire, which Darryl mentioned,
seems that series string fuses could mitigate the possibility of that
issue, if because of shorted cells, just like PV combiners.

Or maybe it has to do with the trouble of getting into the middle of a
pile of batteries ?  Use battery boxes ?

The strings are in parallel and so they all get the same voltage,
theoretically anyway if the connections are good.

I would think that the more strings, the LESS stress on individual
batteries, not more.  The current in each battery should be less than it
would be I would think.

So what is the real experience ??

Is a battery balancer the answer ??

Thanks,