[RE-wrenches] PV powered music festival

Kelly Larson solarwrench at asis.com
Sat Apr 30 14:16:25 PDT 2011

Wow!  What an great discussion!  Nice documentation, Dan.

I have powered part-solar, part-generator, part grid-powered events
for several years.  It's problematic.  Few have a clue how much power
and energy they use.  If they use to much it makes the electrician
look real bad.  I walk around on my rounds and check everything
regularly.  It's a big job.  Some of what I learned that hasn't been
mentioned (or much):

ALWAYS have a genny on hand to cover anything Murphy throws in.
(...of Murphy's law)  A failure at a public event is hard to recover
from.  Size it to cover everything PLUS battery charging.  A dead
battery is worthless to you AND degrades the bank for future use.
When the music's loud no one will notice, (or turn it on over night
for recharge).

Taking along a TED 5000 would be real helpful in figuring out what
uses what.  The TED is pretty versatile, and records the data, (but
takes a little figuring, so use it before the event).

A clamp on ampmeter is an essential tool.  (Remember, most clamp on
ampmeters are AC only).

Watch the extension cords.  They can easily be undersized and often in
poor repair.  In the past I've used big #10 SO cables to get power out
to where it will be used to address this.

An IR temp gun or thermal camera can help keep quick tabs on what is
getting hot, which can be especially nice during headliners.

Take the time to stand out front and educate about energy and
renewables.  Have fun with it!  Have flyers that list resources for
energy efficiency and energy conservation, as well as renewables.  I'd
love to have a meter with a big readout that says how much power is
being used with a running total of energy.  Project for the future...

Blessings,
Kelly

Kelly Larson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer