[RE-wrenches] PV powered music festival

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 21:11:11 PDT 2011

Class 'A' amplifier power output stages idle at 50% of their rated maximum output power.  Add the power consumed by other aspects of the amplifier's electronics and the total idle wattage could easily run 60% or more of the maximum output wattage rating for the entire amplifier -- and as William points out -- consume this much energy with absolutely no output audio.  Class A amps are the most linear of all classes of amplifier, meaning the least distorted, but are also the most power hungry.

Due to the way high-power audio amplifiers and their speakers are utilized, audio equipment people are loathe to turn equipment off until they're done with the event.  If the solar electric system can't handle the load .. no matter how insane or wasteful the load happens to be .. they'll go out and rent a big generator that can.  This is based on past experience ....

Dan