[RE-wrenches] PV powered music festival

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 20:26:16 PDT 2011

Benn,

I totally agree with everything Brian and Jason said, especially the aspect of the chronic and *significant* UNDER-estimation of the power needs by the sound equipment crew.

Earlier comments in this thread from Larry (Starlight Solar), Ray Walters, Jason (Fafco Solar) are also spot on.  They all clearly know of what they speak.

I also absolutely want to reinforce Brian's recommendation that you use a *quality* sine wave inverter -- one that's capable of reacting fast enough for the wild swings in power demand placed on it by large audio amplifiers.  As Brian mentioned, the Exeltech MX will do this.  I've been using MX inverters to provide power for Grammy award winning bands.  I have feedback from every audio engineer who's ever used solar power from the Shuttle -- and they all agree (yes, 100% of them) .. the power from the MX is cleaner than any power they've ever used, including at their recording studios.  Keep in mind .. just because an inverter has sine wave output doesn't mean it's capable of reacting quickly to keep the output voltage stable.

Brian .. by the way .. don't worry about running the MX in the red.  This is an indication of the inverter being called on to deliver its max power, not an overload condition.  The MX are rated to run in the red at 100% of their rated power 24/7, and they'll do it for as long as your DC source holds out.  The inverter wasn't clipping the AC waveform in the red, even at less than 24Vdc input.  What the sound guy heard was distortion in either the amplifier(s), speakers, or both.  This could have been caused if their extension cords from the MX inverter were too light for the load current .. but wasn't the MX inverter.  It'll deliver a sine wave down to less than 22 volts, and will turn off due to DC undervoltage before the sine wave begins to clip.  Since it continued to operate .. you were getting a clean sine wave the entire time.

Benn .. I've been powering outdoor events for more than 10 years.  Here's a link to a PDF on my solar trailer (the "Solar Shuttle"):

http://www.txses.org/NTREG/dnld/SolarShuttleInfo_2010.pdf

If you wish to see photos of the Shuttle under construction, here's a link:

http://www.txses.org/NTREG/projects.htm

The Shuttle has 2150 watts in PV, dual Blue Sky Energy MPPT charge controllers, 20 kWh in battery, and 12 kW in Exeltech MX sine wave inverters.  It's all been flawless, including operation at over 100F.  Full specs are on the last page in the PDF.

The trailer will power events for up to 15,000 people (+/-) depending on a number of variables.  The largest event it's ever powered had 18,000 attendees.

Things to avoid at all cost:

Incandescent stage lamps.  Period.  (Dan from FoxFire and Jason from Fafco are 100% on target on this.)

* Tube amplifiers of any kind.
* Class 'A' amplifiers (tube or solid state - doesn't matter).
  Most sound people and musicians are clueless about this aspect
  of their equipment. You'll have to either get the make and model of
  the amps and talk with the respective manufacturers .. or go to a lot
  of trouble to measure idle power for each.

* Events at night.  For events after dark, you're running totally on battery.
  This can be a pain.  For significant power draw at the event, you'll need
  very *BIG* batteries.

As Brian mentioned, amplifier "idle power" can be a killer.  I provided power for a soundstage last Saturday for a small Earth Day type event that ran for 10 hours, and attracted 5,000 people.  The stage had 7 kW in audio amplifiers, plus mixers, monitor amplifiers, and other electronics.  They frequently hit 10 kW+ on audio peaks, and consumed 1.8 kW just sitting there.  Thankfully, we had pretty good sun and the PV was able to keep up much of the day.  This was a *small* sound stage.  Brian T. and Dave Katz have handled some monster stages by comparison.

Remember too .. headliner bands tend to be the loudest and most power-hungry of the groups.  They're generally the last ones on stage, just when the batteries are really getting tired.

Jay's comment about blowing fuses also merits a comment.  Fuses are appropriate in many applications.  I don't feel that applies here.  I used DC-rated magnetic hydraulic breakers with appropriate amperage and AIC ratings in the Solar Shuttle systems.  They're very expensive but aren't affected by temperature (as are fuses and ordinary breakers).  Breakers aren't as fast as fuses during an over-current protective event, but they can be turned off .. or re-set.

Powering events can be a lot of fun yet nerve-wracking all at the same time.  One excellent benefit .. you get a front-row seat for the music.  You also sit there and hope the batteries hold out -- you're a front-and-center target for the music fans if they don't.

If you want to discuss the Shuttle in detail, and/or powering events in general, contact me off list and I'll be happy to cover whatever info I can.

Dan