[RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Apr 26 10:49:16 PDT 2011

Re: [RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more detailsHugh,

The Blue Sky Energy 2512iX, IPN Pro, temp sens. and shunt is about $420 online. This combination provides the very best in fully programmable battery charge control for systems under 40 amps. There is no equal for the IPN Pro battery monitoring that I can find. I have tried them all and put the BSE in the top of the class. We have sold over 1000 Blue Sky controllers and will continue selling until something better is available.

If you are looking for a lower cost solution, make sure you use a 3 stage controller with temp compensation. We sell the Samlex America SCC-30AB (about $200) as a low cost 3-stage charge alternative to the Blue Sky product.

Will your diversion load control charge in multiple stages? Holding high voltage on an VRLA battery will shorten the life or may cause thermal runaway. You must, according to every manufacturer, reduce the voltage once the battery is full. "Who actually follows these guidelines?" I hope everyone as the customer is paying you to do it right. Sure, an AGM can survive alternative charge methods but after recycling more than 70 tons of batteries at our little store, I am a believer in proper battery charging and maintenance.

Larry