[RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 23:27:00 PDT 2011

At 15:30 -0600 24/4/11, Allan Sindelar wrote:
>The Solar Boost products actually used an external shunt option,
>tying to the Kelvin terminals on the shunt to measure current and
>allow compensatory current; a dip switch controlled
>internal/external sensing. Modern digital controllers apparently
>rely solely on voltage variations.

Thanks Allan,

So most modern controllers cannot sense the battery current and
therefore cannot use this as a cue to switch to floating the battery.
I confess that I had never heard of the Solar Boost external shunt
but since most of my systems have an element of wind and/or hydro
this would not be an option for me.  Without this external shunt, a
controller is not going to know the charging current (since part of
the current will be going to the load).  Without knowing the current,
how can you do a proper job of switching to float and avoiding drying
out the battery?

I don't understand how people can use sealed batteries successfully
on RE systems.  I avoid them when I can and I usually set the
absorption voltage too low, for safety, if I do have to.  But I am
keen to learn about a successful approach that does charge the
battery properly without drying it out.
--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig