[RE-wrenches] Battery Life (Air conditioning for batteries in high temperature climate)

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Apr 22 12:49:59 PDT 2011

Roy,

Your post is most puzzling. As temperatures rise above 25C, battery capacity rises and cycle life is shortened. The opposite is true as temperatures drop below 25C. What do you mean by he was loosing "capacity" during summer months?

My question is whether anyone has run air conditioning on a battery bank to increase the cycle life, not capacity, in hot climates.

As of my last conversation with the customer, he is willing to insulate the small battery room and put in a portable A/C unit. I measured one unit that only drew 620 watts while cooling. I expect that with sufficient insulation, the A/C will only run a few hours per day.  The home is vacant for 3-4 weeks then used for 3-5 days. The DoD is only 5% while vacant. The PV charging system is oversized now and should keep up with the extra load. I'll post again in about 3 to 4 years to let you know if this plan works!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Larry