[RE-wrenches] Air conditioning for batteies in high temperatureclimate

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Apr 21 14:19:33 PDT 2011

Hi Ray,

Absolutely: Battery charging 101 = temperature compensated charging, no exceptions.

I too thought of underground storage but the temperature is still above 100 degrees at 6 feet down. It is really hot in the Baja!

I disagree about AGM life. I have heard others say this about AGM's but it has not been our experience. I personally have a 900AH bank that is 6 years old and shows little signs of aging. I have equalized the batteries twice to keep the capacity up(each one individually, constant current, unregulated voltage) We only sell and install battery based systems at our retail store and about 50% of sales are AGM batteries. We have found that they have similar life to flooded batteries but with great benefits.

Yes, some L16's just don't hold up well but I am talking about entire banks failing all at about the same age.

Thanks for your reply.

Larry