[RE-wrenches] Two Buildings, Two Services, One Roof

Hans Frederickson hans at fredelectric.com
Mon Apr 18 15:05:14 PDT 2011

I don't think you'll find anything in the NEC to prohibit that. NEC
250.52(A)(1) requires you to bond a metal underground water pipe (if it
exists) to the grounding electrode system. In older neighborhoods with metal
water pipes, the grounding electrode systems for all the houses are bonded
together (through the metal water pipe). The only potential problem I know
of with the GECs for multiple services bonded together in this way is that
if a bad connection develops on the incoming grounded service conductor
(neutral), unbalanced (neutral) current can start flowing through the pipes
to neighboring services and back to the transformer through their neutral
wires. Bottom line: call your AHJ, tell them what you plan to do, and ask
them if they have a problem with it. You should also check with the utility.

Regards,
-Hans

  _____