[RE-wrenches] Two Buildings, Two Services, One Roof

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Mon Apr 18 10:16:27 PDT 2011

Thanks Ken,

I still don't see any configuration of equipment that would not involve
making an electrical connection between the two grounding systems of the two
seperate dwellings

In order to provide the required GFP for the PV modules, it seems both
inverters would have to mounted on the shop.

If I put all modules, and both inverters on the shop and run a feeder (?)
from one of the inverters back to the house, could I get away with not
running a equipment ground conductor along with the inverter output circuit
conductors? If I do run an EGC then it will connect the two grounding
systems.

I guess 230 does allow multiple service on a single dwelling where justified
by the size of the building. Perhaps one could, by bonding the grounding
systems of house and the shop, argue that they basically constitute one
large dwelling.

The questions keep mounting up. 250 allows bonding the groundingstem of
multiple seperately derived systems, but could we construe a utility service
to one dwelling as a seperately derived system relative to another dwelling
with it's own service? Where can one find the definition of a "seperately
derived system" in the Code?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way