[RE-wrenches] tax credit on batteries

Jeff Irish jeff at hvce.com
Thu Apr 14 14:04:21 PDT 2011

A commercial customer of ours, who is an attorney, investigated this at length with the IRS because he was pursuing the 30% in form of a grant.  The wording he got back was that if the batteries were 100% charged by solar then yes.  So if you can prove that the PV generates more annual energy than that needed to charge and keep the batteries charged, that battery charging is the priority, and only excess energy is sent to other loads and the grid, then maybe that's compliant?  At this point I think I'm supposed to say that I'm an engineer and not qualified to be giving tax advice.  Hope this helps some.

Jeff Irish, PE
Hudson Valley Clean Energy
and Adirondack Solar