[RE-wrenches] SunnyBoy 1800

Ryan J LeBlanc ryan at naturalenergyworks.com
Thu Apr 7 18:05:12 PDT 2011

In addition to David's insight, I would like to also offer this link for the
manual:

 http://www.sma-america.com/en_US/service/downloads.html

If you click on the "Archive" tab, documentation is available for all
out-of-production units.

Also, http://www.SMA.de sometimes may have info that the US site doesn't.

~ Ryan LeBlanc

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:25:47 -0700
From: David Katz <dkatz at asis.com>
To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Sunny boy 1800

Jesse,
Here is one more thing to look at.  I have 3 SMA 1800 W inverters on my
house and had a very similar problem when I installed them.  They are
very sensitive to AC voltage.  Mine would turn off at 128 VAC.  My
utility voltage is 125 per leg and because of voltage "drop" in a log
run of wire, it would get over 128 when the inverters were putting out
power. This made it go on and off every 5 minutes.  I changed the
parameters through the Sunny WebBox and set the AC cut-off to 135 and
the problem went away.
David

David Katz

Founder & CTO

AEE Solar

T(707) 825-1200

C(831) 325-9582

F(707) 825-1202

dkatz at aeesolar.com <mailto:david at aeesolar.com>

www.aeesolar.com <http://www.aeesolar.com/>

On 4/6/2011 4:41 PM, Jesse Dahl wrote:
> Wrenches,
>
> I've been working on a sunny boy 1800 with some problems. There is no
manual and SMA website does not have it available.  I need to watch the
lights on the inverter to find the problem, but I'm not there now and I
can't get this off my mind, so I will ask the esteemed members of this list.

> When it's cloudy, the inverter comes on and loads the array. I can watch
the sunny keeper watts reading rise until it get around 1000w and full sun
hits the array.  Once full sun hits the array, the inverter drops out.  It
did it three times to me today, and the inverter will not come on during
full sun. Grid volts and hz are okay durning this.