[RE-wrenches] Generator and Enphase

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sun Mar 27 08:38:29 PDT 2011

Larry,

There are alot of ways to skin that cat.

Here is what I am doing on my job.

I have a 400A main disconnect with a feeder running directly to a 400 ATS
then to a 400A main lug dedicated load center under the switch. All
conductors are double - 250 mcm.

I am going to tap the feeder on the line side, inside the ATS cabinet, using
a ten foot feeder tap of #3 running to a new 100A breaker enclosure with an
80A breaker. From there I will go to a new 150A main lug load center with
95A worth of PV backfeed breakers.

I really am enjoying this one because it brings up so many interesting Code
quandaries.

In my mind I am extending the premise wiring and interconnecting at the new
load center which is on the line side of the ATS. Some folks might take
issue with this, arguing that the "PV" circuit begins at the tap in the ATS
and as such is not at a dedicated OCPD. Some folks have argued that feeder
tap rules themselve do not apply to PV circuits. In any case, the new 150A
load center is not dedicated solely to backfeeding the PV, there are other
loads connected there. This is why I see it as an extension of the premise
wiring and as the point of interconnect of the PV circuit.

Interestingly enough, in order to follow NEC 2008, I will have to place the
PV backfeed breakers at the bottom of the new 150A load center.

But here is where it gets interesting. Taking the ATS out of the picture for
a moment, the existing 400A main lug load center is now feed with through
the main lug with a total of 480A of supply breakers. This complies with NEC
2008 vis-a-vis the 120% allowance for conductors and busbars. In this case
it does sort of make it seem silly to go through the trouble of putting the
backfeed breakers on the bottom of the 150A load center. Especially when
thinking back, the whole idea of putting the breaker at the bottom of the
load center was that you could then have PV backfeed equal to the full
rating of load center busbar. Funny how things work out.

Anyway, the real question comes up when we bring the ATS back into the
picture. The 400A ATS will see the same 480A of supply breakers as the
conductors and busbar of the 400A load center. Here is where I am taking
leap of faith that the AHJ will agree with me that the same 120% allowance
given to the conductors and load center will be given to ATS itself.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959