[RE-wrenches] Rail concerns (was: Top of POST mount)

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Mar 22 14:47:46 PDT 2011

Friends:

When installing modules on extruded rail systems, I worry that any
vibration or motion could loosen top-down clamps.  Unlike bottom-up systems
that install with tried-and-true bolts and lock washers through captive
holes, clamp systems seem less "positive" in holding capability.  If one
rail in the proposed design moves in relation to the other, the clamps
could loosen and the modules could eventually slide right off the rail.  It
appears that wind turbulence could rock the modules in the proposed design,
there is a lot of leverage for that.  This might loosen clamps.

I hesitate to design my own racking.  Small business management is all
about controlling risk.  I do not want to be responsible for damaged
modules if my design fails.

At least one local AHJ forbids home-brew racks for a permitted system.  I'm
not sure I support that restrictive approach.  I might suggest allowing
them for owner-builder systems where the home owner assumes the
liability.  For myself, the remaining tasks associated with installing a
system properly have enough pitfalls without me playing structural engineer.

And lastly, it is my understanding that Solar World had temporarily
abandoned mounting holes in the back rails of their new "Plus" modules (my
quotes) and even abandoned the flanges altogether.  According to what I
heard, industry pressure forced them to add them back in, but as an
option.  This is third-hand knowledge, but I do know that removing the
option to mount panels with through bolts would be a big mistake.

William Miller