[RE-wrenches] questions about solar charging 72v UPS

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 10:59:11 PST 2011

Hi all
I have charged 72 volts on a golf cart type deal, with 2 each morningstar T60
and with 2 each MX 60s But Appolo may work or Classic

the trick is only use the charging function do not connect any communication
cables   Grounding is the problem.  as one of the controllers is floating.  with
its negative terminal at 36 volts.  The array has to be set up bipolar.  The MX
60 was done with help from the old Outback Crew, back when Chris and Bob were
there.  I do not know who you would speak to now.  With Morning Star you have to
have the meter for the t-60 to set it up for 36 volts again check with
MorningStar, I can not give you a name.  I only now work with Brad

Connect a center tap to the batteries 36 volts connect negative of one
controller to negative of array, connect Positive to 36 volt point of batery.
connect second controller negative to 36 point of battery and positive to 72
volt point.

Also the MX 60 may have changed.  the Tri60 may have changed.
Darryl