[RE-wrenches] module / panel

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Tue Feb 8 15:40:17 PST 2011

However, the term "panel" does appear in the NEC in the context of Article
690 "Solar Photovoltaic Systems." (You'll have to submit a proposal to the
Code Making Panel to change the name of the Article, Michael.) Panel is
defined a "collection of modules mechanically fastened together, wired and
designed to provide a field installable unit."

The third photo down in this article shows modules being panelized (bottom
left) and a panel being lifted into position by a crane (top right):

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP3_4_pg26_Bray&search=

On 2/8/11 5:19 PM, "Michael Welch" <michael.welch at re-wrenches.org> wrote:

> FYI, gang (and for what it is worth), Home Power magazine settled on the
> following long ago, and it seems consistent with other uses:
>
> A panel can be used to refer to something that captures heat energy, but does
> not use the photovoltaic effect. (Like SHW panel, but even SHW "collector" is
> what we usually use.)
>
> A single framed set of PV cells with said connecting method is a PV module.
> More than one PV module wired together in a set is an array (or a sub-array,
> which can also refer to mechanical connection).
> All the sub-arrays in a system constitute an array.
>
> Admittedly, there is some arbitrariness in there, but we wanted the magazine
> to be consistent.
>
> There is no such thing as a "solar PV" module or panel -- but if there was it
> would capture twice the amount of energy due to redundance.
>
> benn kilburn wrote at 02:49 PM 2/8/2011:
>
>> Wrenchers,
>>
>> Which term do you to describe a single framed unit with either a j-box or two
>> wire leads on the back, module or panel?
>> Which term do you believe to be correct and why?
>>
>> My interpretation is that a single framed unit is a module.  Any number of
>> modules attached to a single detached 'rack' is a panel, and a group of
>> panels with the same orientation or mounting location/type is an array.
>>
>> If you agree with my interpretation, what are your thoughts on the widespread
>> use of the term 'panel' to describe a module.
>>
>> thanks,
>> benn
>>
>> DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
>> benn at daystarsolar.ca
>> 780-906-7807
>> HAVE A SUNNY DAY

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine
NABCEP Certified PV Installer 
david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545
Fax:  541.512.0343

Visit our Web site at solarprofessional.com

(Sample copy available for download at: solarprofessional.com/sample)