[RE-wrenches] Problem with NABCEP ad

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sun Feb 6 11:20:29 PST 2011

As PV becomes more and more mainstream, more and more organizations
(including state licensing boards, unions and other certifying bodies) will
weigh in on the subject of certifying installers for PV installation. We
also have Professional Engineers that can provide expert opinions on the
subject of sound engineering design.

I think one of the more interesting conflicts (in California at least) is
the insistence by some AHJs (and clients) that certain work be performed by
a licensed electrical contractor (C-10 in CA) as opposed to a licensed solar
contractor (C-46). Gosh, some schools require a C-10 license to teach PV
design and installation!

It is my understanding (and I am prepared to be corrected) that there is
nothing in the C-10 license requirements (experience, skills, examination)
that would argue that the holder of a C-10 license has any PV-specific
knowledge, such as design of a PV system (orientation, shading, string
sizing, proper PV ampacity calculations, maximum and minimum system
voltages, proper loading analysis, anchoring and attachment of PV systems on
roof tops), commissioning/troubleshooting or calculation of annual energy
production, or financial metrics such as payback and IRR. But I digress.

As for NABCEP certification, there are of course different levels and
different specialties. If we stick to the Entry Level exam for PV installers
and the (full-up) Certified Solar PV Installer (of which I have some
knowledge) -- I think both have their value.

An individual who passes the Entry Level Exam demonstrates that they have a
certain level of knowledge about solar resources, PV system design and
installation, system performance, troubleshooting, safety practices, and
some financial metrics. What it doesn't deal with is experience and
practical skills. If I were contemplating hiring for an "entry level
installer" position, I would give considerable weight to some one who passed
the Entry Level Exam. I would of course also evaluate the individual's
skills and construction trade experience.

As for the Certified Solar PV Installer, the requirements to sit for the
exam include a significant amount of actual hands-on PV installation
experience. There are a number of ways to qualify and I think that NABCEP
has recognized a fairly broad number of "paths" to demonstrating this
experience. There is recognition of academic instruction but it must be
coupled with hands-on experience. There is also a code of ethics and
requirements for continuing education as a requirement for recertification.

And then there is the exam. I can vouch for the fact that the exam is
thorough and difficult. As an anecdote, when I took the exam not one single
person left the exam before the end of the time period. I won't hazard a
guess as to the "pass rate", perhaps someone else can provide some insight.

With all this work that NABCEP has put into standards and certification, I
would expect them to promote the value of their standards and
certifications. (full disclosure: I haven't seen the ad in Home Power; could
someone provide me with issue and page number?).

Is "insist" too strong a word? I don't know. I hear advertising all the time
like "Insist on genuine DELCO parts!" Somehow I am not offended by that
advertising slogan. Do we deny NABCEP the right to advertise or advocate? Do
we hold them to some higher level of behavior (if so, I can't figure out how
to characterize what is appropriate or inappropriate).

I can image a situation where I was comparing two installers (installation
companies) and both had the proper licensing, insurance, experience (at
least three years in the business and 100 kW of installs), multiple
references and the proposed PV systems were comparable, then the NABCEP
Certified Solar PV Installer wouldn't carry that much weight (but it just
might be the tie breaker). On the other hand, if I were looking at two
installers each with barely two years of experience and a ten installs,
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer might get my business.

I just had an interesting situation come up about a month ago. We ran up
against another installer. He was working for a brand new company (lot's of
them out there) and he himself had a two-year technology degree from a
Community College and was a NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer. We couldn't
figure out how much experience he had, but his C-10 license was only two
years old and he claimed to be a sole-proprietor without any employees on
his state license declarations -- up until 9 months ago. This guy was long
on theory and short on practice.

Trying to sum up my various thoughts: the NABCEP Certified Solar PV
Installer is crucial when comparing (1) relative newcomers to the PV
installation business, (2) electrical contractors or general contractors for
whom PV is not their principal business, and (3) two otherwise equally
qualified individuals or companies.

Having said all that, Larry, why wouldn't you want to study the NABCEP PV
learning objectives, perhaps take a course focused on preparation for the
exam and take the exam?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885