[RE-wrenches] Roofers installing solar = creative, new installation methods

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Mon Jan 31 10:33:15 PST 2011

Well,

I thought we were talking about getting into bed with roofers. If we are
talking about DIYers, here is my two cents worth.

Just so boB and Warren don’t appear to be a couple of voices in the
wild(erness). I personally do not know of a single PV integrator who would
work with a DIYer. The reasons for walking away from this kind of business
are so numerous, I will list only the first fourteen:

(1) A DIYer looking for some help in installing a PV system, might be
looking to avoid pulling a permit, or
(2) Expects to pull a permit as an owner-builder, or
(3) Wants you to pull the permit
(4) Doesn’t think we need to perform a site survey, because he got on the
roof a couple of weeks ago and everything will fit and there was no shading.
(5) Wants you to fill out the rebate paperwork (and not pay for the effort)
(6) Doesn’t want to pay for engineering either (what do you mean we can’t
use the 500 ft of #14 THHN wire I bought?)
(7) Or for that matter permit documentation (you want $250 to draw up a
permit package! That’s outrageous!)
(8) Wants the installer to carry the warranty for the stuff his brother
bought on the internet from PVPartsForSale
(9) Isn’t 100% sure exactly what came in the “kit”
(10)  Wants the installer to bid on the project based on a PowerPoint layout
he did for the modules (What do you mean I have to know the rafter spacing
and orientation? I assumed you would cut those "black plastic pipes" vents
flush with the roof. Don’t worry I’ll move the satellite dish!)
(11)  Wants to do “a little of the work himself on the weekends” (Like
running some conduit through the attic).
(12)  Wants the installer to vouch for the fact that the PV modules were
purchased “new” even though there is a fine layer of dirt everywhere on the
panels even in the rain channels, and some of the panels have wire clips
installed on the backside.
(13)  Doesn’t know anything about his service panel, or whether or not he
had a code compliant grounding system, and is not sure what kind of roof he
has (I think it’s “tile”) or what condition it’s in
(14) And he has done a little unpermitted electrical work in the past, but
that shouldn’t be a problem should it?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885