[RE-wrenches] Inverter oversizing

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Thu Jan 20 07:32:41 PST 2011

Kent,

The graphs aren¹t mislabeled. The one-minute average data has more
granularity, which shows up at the upper limits of the data. It reveals more
peaks over 1,000 W/m2, even in excess of 1,200 W/m2. These values get
compressed into the lower bins in the hourly data.

The results from the Florianopolis site in Brazil, gives a pretty good idea
of how significantly different the results can be based on monitoring
frequency:

³Considerable differences emerge when looking at the high end of the
radiation level
Distribution, which shows for the one-minute averages that some 9% of the
daytime
hours present radiation levels „ 1000W/m2, with a corresponding energy
content of
some 23%; hourly averages for the same range correspond to around 6% of
daytime
hours, and below 11% of the total energy content. Radiation levels above
900W/m2
occur some 16% of the time when looking at one-minute averages, and below
13%
of daytime hours when using hourly averages, with corresponding energy
fractions
respectively above 38% and 25%.²

>From the conclusion:

³we have demonstrated that the estimation of the actual losses due to
inverter
undersizing increases with increased time resolution of the radiation
measurements,
revealing that hourly averages hide important irradiation peaks. In fact,
results with
hourly averages are an experimental artifact, and lead to an estimation of
the solar
energy resource distribution that does not correspond to reality. Hourly
averages of
irradiation values lead to inverter undersizing and the associated energy
losses.²

Figures 8 & 9 are interesting. You could imagine what these results would
look like if overlaid onto your charts.

Best, david

On 1/19/11 8:14 PM, "Kent Osterberg" <kent at coveoregon.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for sharing that paper.  The labeling the graphs for the 10-second and
> 1-minute data in Freiburg appears to be reversed - the one minute averaging
> seems to have more data in all of the bins above 1000 W/sq m.  Basically,
> these graphs show that irradiance observations above 1100 watts per square
> meter are fleeting and disappear in hourly averages.   Such occurrences are
> also masked to a small extent by 1-minute averages.
>
> Kent Osterberg
> Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.
>

> David Brearley wrote:
>>  Re: [RE-wrenches] Inverter oversizing This reminds me of a scholarly article
>> I came across about a year ago while doing some research. Here¹s a link to it
>> if anyone is interested:
>>
>> www.lepten.ufsc.br/publicacoes/solar/eventos/2005/PSC/burger_ruther.pdf
>> <http://www.lepten.ufsc.br/publicacoes/solar/eventos/2005/PSC/burger_ruther.p
>> df>
>>
>> David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
>>  SolarPro magazine
>> NABCEP Certified PV Installer 
>>  david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
>> Direct: 541.261.6545
>>
>> On 1/19/11 12:29 PM, "Bill Brooks" <billbrooks7 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Kent,
>>>
>>> How often were your data records? To capture edge of cloud effects, you need
>>> one-second data. Not many people gather that fast or that much data on
>>> inverters. I don¹t think there is that much energy in these spikes, but they
>>> are real and make some difference. 15-minute average data will completely
>>> wash out this data.
>>>
>>> This is also a deficiency in modeling software since most models are using
>>> hourly data.
>>>
>>> Bill.

>>> g=en-US> . The data are publicly accessible so feel free to run your own

david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545
Fax:  541.512.0343

Visit our Web site at solarprofessional.com

(Sample copy available for download at: solarprofessional.com/sample)