[RE-wrenches] Inverter oversizing

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Jan 20 06:23:55 PST 2011

On a couple of Enphase systems I monitor
regularly, the modules are oversized compared to
the inverters.  One system has Sharp 224 W
modules and M-190s (capable of producing 199
W).  The array is a ground mount at a 30 degree tilt at 39+ degrees latitude.

When the system was new in the autumn, I noticed
two days of some clipping.  Since then, none.  In
the summer, when the sun angle is better, the
heat will keep the wattage down so clipping will
very seldom occur.  The modules will not be close
to STC, so the inverters should not be pushed to their maximum.

The same is true of string inverters.  Since real
power of the modules in generally significantly
below the nameplate, inverters will generally not
run at maximum power.   When we take in all the
factors affecting the actual array power, I think
that 120% over sizing from nameplate wattage is generally safe.

Drake