[RE-wrenches] Inverter oversizing

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 15:19:46 PST 2011

Kent,

The article that David Brearley cited is a very good discussion on this
subject. It clearly shows the under-prediction of losses due to hitting the
inverter peak power capability when using longer-term data. This study was
done by the Fraunhofer Institute in southern Germany. They get a lot more
clouds there so the results might be comparable to some of the more cloudy
regions of the United States. I would expect the results to be worse in much
of the U.S. that gets clouds and higher irradiation than Freiburg. However,
the results will definitely be less for much of California since clouds
don't happen for sections of the year.

It all matters where you are.

Great discussion.

Bill.