[RE-wrenches] Incompatible Metals

Hugh hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 14:46:30 PST 2011

>Hi Kelly:
>     Are you sure about the XHHW listing.  Doesn't that designate
>aluminum wire?  You mentioned CU before.
>     I have seen some discolloration from copper wire against module
>frames, but not real corrosion.

The way I understand galvanic corrosion is that it is produced by a
current as in a battery, and if the base metal side of the equation
is large in area, and the noble metal is small then the effect is
diluted.  If you use aluminium rivets in a copper vessel then they
might disappear fast, but copper rivets will have little effect on an
aluminum vessel.  So much for the theory anyway.
--
Hugh Piggott

Scoraig
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk