[RE-wrenches] Xslent?

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 19:03:22 PST 2011

--- On Fri, 1/7/11, Peter Parrish <peter.parrish at calsolareng.com>  wrote:

> What
 ever is done to reduce
the reative power, it has to be done> in real time (with a fraction of
0.016
seconds, the 60 Hz cycle).> You can’t wait until later in the evening to
solve a problem that> is occuring during the day.

Peter is absolutely correct.  Power factor correction MUST occur on a half-cycle by half-cycle basis, and at the exact moment of power consumption by the reactive load.  Anything else won't be effective, and may in fact worsen the power factor at a given point in the grid.

> Real
 time compensation
can be often done with capacitors alone> or in conjuction with some smart
electronics. Remember that for> short periods of time capacitors can
store considerable
amounts> of energy and can smooth out these reactive currents.

Capacitors placed across a power line will store energy for exactly one-half cycle.  At that point, the polarity reverses, the capacitor is discharged to to zero, then recharged to the opposite polarity.  This process repeats every cycle.

What DOES take place is a phase shift (displacement) in the current flow relative to the voltage waveform.  Power factor correction is done with capacitor banks (we see them in substations and on power poles) to offset the power factor of the grid itself, which by its design is inherently inductive due to long runs of wire.  Very large motors will have individual "tuning" capacitors installed to offset inductive reactive current flow.  These capacitors are disconnected whenever the respective motor to which they're connected is not in use.  On occasion, excessive capacitance exists in a circuit that must be offset by inductance, but this is rare.

Like Tom Cruise said in Top Gun .. "It's complicated."

Dan