[RE-wrenches] Xslent?

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Thu Jan 6 14:34:53 PST 2011

I can't understand how any inverter WOULDN'T deliver its power with the
voltage and current 100% IN PHASE.

When the voltage and current are not 100% in-phase that represents reactive
power. Reactive power flows positive for a quarter of the AC cycle, then
negative for a quarter of a cycle, then positive and then negative. The net
result over one AC cycle is ZERO power delivered to the load.

So reactive power is worthless.

Worse, it results in higher currents (and voltages) for the same amount of
in-phase power, putting additional stress on circuits.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885