[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 4, Issue 404

Isaac Opalinsky iopalinsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:16:28 PST 2011

Al,

I think the issue of putting panels over an array is not simply "inadequate
ventilation", but also creating a situation where frost might be more
likely to form on the inside of the pipe.  The way I had it explained to
me, the UPC requires vents to go 10" above the roof line, and the Standard
Plumbing code also requires that the penetration through the roof be
upsized to minimize the impact of frost.  I've always worked with plumbers
to relocate the vents, which turned out to be easier and less expensive
once we had done a few projects together.  We used the Studor vents as
well, which are a simple solution but require a little more planning

I'd love to see if the vents make a hot spot on the panels - maybe they'd
help shed snow more quickly.

Isaac Opalinsky

Message: 1