[RE-wrenches] Adding on to existing PV System

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Sep 29 08:48:57 PDT 2011

We've been contracted to add on to an existing PV system in a residence.
The existing system has a 30A 2P Breaker on a 200A rated panel with a
200A main breaker. The new system would require a 15A breaker, which
would exceed the limit in NEC 690.64(B)(2).

The existing system has a fusible AC disconnect mounted next to the
meter. This was originally intended as the utility external disconnect.
The utility no longer requires a disconnect, but if we do a supply side
connection, we would need a fusible AC disconnect anyway for the new
system. I would collocate the new disconnect with the old.

Does anyone see any problem with doing a supply size connection for the
new system? Any labeling snags that I might need to consider?

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar