[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling

Larry Brown sunmountain at netstep.net
Fri Sep 2 08:51:10 PDT 2011

Wrenches,

After Hurricane Irene left a lot of people without power here in the
Northeast, customers who have grid-tied systems are asking about some
battery backup to power some essential loads.

We have used Sunny Islands but they require either 2 Sunny Islands or
a step up transformer to get 240 volts for the well pump.  Schneider
Electric  (Xantrex XW) inverters look like they would work  for this
application and do 120/240 volt output as well and we have used these
in off grid applications but not as AC coupled.  I have considered
Magnum because they also do 120/240 volts but they need battery
diversion to ensure the batteries are not over charged.

None of these systems are going to be rewired as a DC system so I am
looking for any feed back on what others are using to AC couple to
existing grid-tied systems to provide some battery backup.

Thanks
Larry

Larry Brown
Sun Mountain