[RE-wrenches] 230/400 50Hz in the U.S Off-grid?

Jeff Clearwater jeffc at villagepower.com
Mon Aug 8 23:34:41 PDT 2011

Esteemed Wrenches,

Is there any possibility at all I can install a 230/400 50 Hz Sunny
Island Micro-grid in the U.S. or Canada and have it meet code?  Is it
the neutral and grounding that's going to prohibitive?  Or is there a
way around that?  Anybody ever done it and gotten it through an inspector?

I'm working on an island mico-grid and the European standard would bring
us higher voltage - larger multi-cluster boxes from SMA (the US version
only goes to 60 KW whereas the European version goes to 300 KW) perhaps
better SI support from Germany, and access to a wider variety of energy
efficienty appliances.

One can only ask!

Jeff

--