[RE-wrenches] Efficient step up, down transformers

lars Ortegren lars at cal-solar.com
Mon Jul 25 07:42:32 PDT 2011

Wrenches,

                I recently installed three "ultra -efficient" step up-down
transformers on an off grid micro grid project with a 1500' wire run. The
grid is powered by a an old SW4024(120v) output, stepped up to 480v, and
stepped down to 240v at two locations. I was told by the manufacturer that
they were "99% efficient under a full load", but upon firing up the system,
I found a NO LOAD AMPEREAGE OF 15.6 amps!!! Needless to say, a completely
unworkable situation for an off grid scenario, as the 840ah battery would be
drained in a couple of hours before anything was turned on. I'm wondering if
anyone out there has either found off grid friendly step up-down
transformers, or if I'm just screwed and need to pull parallel 4/0 runs
(probably the price of a new car) to fix the problem. HELP!

Lars Ortegren

Director of Operations

California Solar Electric Company

10141 Evening Star Drive, Suite 6