[RE-wrenches] Stiebel Eltron SHW Collector condensation issue

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Mon Jun 20 12:57:42 PDT 2011

SHW Wrenches,

Our first experience with SHW flat plate collectors with a condensation
issue on the inside of the collectors' glass cover. The system has two
Stiebel Eltron Sol 25 collectors (88" x 48" each) with a 82 gallon single
heat exchanger insulated tank in the basement of the home, with a SOM 6
solar loop controller. System installed fall of 2008.

Condensation problem was first noticed by homeowner late last December. The
collectors' manufacturer, Stiebel Eltron, instructed us to watch and see if
the problem resolved on its own. It did not. Stiebel then instructed us to
drill small holes through the sides of the collectors near the top for
venting and more holes through the sides near the bottom for draining the
collector (see attached pdf for Stiebel's venting advice). We did that in
early May of this year. The homeowner called us back with the same
condensation issue.

Stiebel then sent a bag of plastic insert venting plugs that required us to
drill out larger holes in the side of the collectors and pop these vent
plugs in. Plugs appear to be an attempt at making more venting area while
trying to keep the rain out. After we installed these plugs we still have
the same issue, homeowner still sees condensation and poor performance from
the SHW system.

The homeowner is now asking for new collectors under warranty.  Have others
experienced a similar SHW collector problem? And have collector
manufacturers stepped up with new collectors?

Thanks,

David Palumbo

Independent Power LLC

462 Solar Way Drive