[RE-wrenches] High Grid Voltage in Los Angeles

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue May 24 12:32:20 PDT 2011

To all of you that labor in Los Angeles: we have been experiencing some
recurring high grid voltages in the Northeast Los Angele area (e.g. 90065).
About a month ago a client called to inform us that his inverter was off
line. It turned out that there may have been a voltage spike intense enough
to take out his inverter permanently. What we know for sure is that he had
persistently high voltage over a considerable length of time (many days).
LADWP put a monitoring box on his service, but so far they have failed to
share any data with the client (despite his numerous requests).

As of a week ago, the monitor was still on his service, and LADWP was still
not providing any information of any significance.

Now our new (mfg date July 2010) GT3.3 inverter went off line due to an AC
Voltage fault. The voltage ranged from 266.4 to 268.1 V-ac over a ten minute
interval. I am using a "true RMS" Extech 380942 DMM and it was calibrated to
NIST traceable standards. So I trust my measurements implicitly. LADWP filed
service came by a few minutes ago and confirmed the problem.

If there is anyone else in the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
service territory (or your clients) who is having grid voltage anomalies,
please let me know off-line. I am prepared gather and serve as a focal point
for those affected (and possibly to LADWP).

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885